Thursday, July 27, 2017

Where praise is due

The other day someone in our congregation did the worst thing to me that could be done to any pastor with an ego the size of mine.

She praised my sermon.  

Worse still, she said it was the best sermon she had ever heard.

Anywhere. 

By anyone.  

And she isn't a young woman!  

I know this sounds strange, but hear me out.    

Everyone is insecure about something. We all desire the approval of other people. 

This is why we keep checking our Facebook posts to see how many "Likes" our latest entry has accumulated.

Pastors are no exception.  

While it probably isn't the case, I suspect many pastors believe their congregations evaluate them primarily by their sermons.

So we like to hear a word of praise or feel a pat on the back - a Facebook "thumbs up" - as members are filing out after taking in our latest homily.

This is where the damage is done.

He is invisible to you, but each Sunday morning the devil is sitting on the pastor's shoulder while he greets members as they exit the sanctuary.

"Great sermon Pastor Balvanz," one says.

"You deserve those words," the devil whispers in my ear. "You really moved him this morning."

"I needed to hear your words today," says another member, as my chest expands.

"You are naturally better than other pastors," the devil chimes in. "In fact, you don't really need to prepare so hard next week." 

It takes a lot of time to develop a sermon.  Pastors want their words to be memorable and useful to those who hear it.  And there is the rub.

They aren't our words and pastors should claim no credit for them.

A sermon worthy of remembering is based solely on God's words given in His gospel.

Jesus is the one worthy of praise.  He is the one who shouldered our sins, died for them and rose again so that we might have life forever.

Don't praise the realtor for what the builder accomplished.  

Simply say, "Thank you pastor for reminding me of what God has done."

Thumbs up to that! 

  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are expected to reflect the grace and forgiveness won for us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You did it to me

This space has been quiet for several months, but today I want to share some thoughts that I expressed at the recent funeral of a friend, co...