Thursday, October 19, 2017

Life alone

If you want to send my daughter over the edge, simply point out a person sitting alone in a restaurant.

When she was younger she actually began to cry if we were eating out and she spied someone dining at a table for one.  



Her soft heart equates solitary meals with loneliness.  I hope it's because we had some wonderfully happy times at the dinner table when she was growing up - at least during those times when we could get her to stop dancing and be seated!   

In my former occupation I traveled frequently for work. When I called home in the evening to check in with the family she always wanted to know with whom I had eaten dinner.

She couldn't stand the thought of Daddy sitting alone at a table in a restaurant in an unfamiliar city.  I admit there were times I fibbed just so she wouldn't feel bad.

Most people probably share her feelings - at least a little bit.  While a few souls are naturally comfortable on their own, most of us would rather spend our time with another human being, or at least a friendly pet!

The dictionary definition of 'alone' is pretty straightforward: unique, set apart, exclusive of all else. That sounds okay, almost royal

But if one consults a thesaurus regarding 'alone' the list of  synonyms is a sad bunch of words: abandoned, isolated, solitary, forsaken, etc.  The implication is that one should avoid 'alone-ness' at all cost because it is a life devoid of relationships!

Before this becomes a pity party, we also must recognize that there are some very positive 'alones' that have made it possible for us to enjoy one specific relationship - our relationship with God.

These are the 'alones' rediscovered during the Reformation, a time when truths about God and our relationship with him were brought to light once again through the Gospel of Jesus.

Scripture alone.  The Bible is the one and only standard by which all teachers and doctrines may be judged because it is the clear, true, powerful and unchanging Word of God.  (Sola scriptura!)

Grace alone.  The unearned and undeserved love of God for all of creation, especially for his people, that caused him to send his only Son to redeem it.  (Sola gratia!)

Faith alone.  The personal assurance that God's promises of forgiveness and everlasting life are true and reliable.  There is nothing that I must or can do to bring this about.  Such certainty is a gift from God received through the Gospel by the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Sola fide!)

Christ alone.  The death of Jesus Christ on the cross redeemed me and all others from the curse and darkness of sin and eternal death.  It did for me what I could not do myself.  His resurrection from the dead is God's promise to me that I will live also.  (Solus Christus!)

Notice how everything about forgiveness and life comes from God? He acted in order that we would not be abandoned, isolated and forsaken but loved, encouraged and cared for forever.

Thank God that he acted alone to make us his people.  

It wouldn't have worked any other way.







   





      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are expected to reflect the grace and forgiveness won for us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You did it to me

This space has been quiet for several months, but today I want to share some thoughts that I expressed at the recent funeral of a friend, co...